VIFF Centre Reimagined
Imagine more opportunities to share, explore and celebrate together.
The reimagined VIFF Centre will triple the presentation space making room for communities large and small to share stories, learn and engage. In addition to the existing Vancity Theatre, VIFF Centre will include a Studio Theatre, New Media Lab and an Education Suite. Our new home will allow us to expand the range and diversity of programming, invite more community partnerships and provide more low-cost rental opportunities for filmmakers, community groups and other charities – all in line with our goal to increase access, equity, inclusion and diversity. Imagine that.
Imagine the Space
What is going on behind the hoarding:
- A portion of the Atrium is being transformed to become a multi-use presentation space, featuring a new “Studio Theatre” where we'll present more films and special events in an intimate setting;
- The concession is being moved to a more accessible location, closer to the entrance to allow for a more comfortable and inviting space to enjoy pre and post event gatherings;
- The 2nd floor is being redesigned to include an interactive “New Media Lab” where we will present new innovative forms of media arts and engage exciting VR/AR content creators;
- The 2nd floor will also include the creation of a new Education Suite featuring non-theatrical projection, large AV screen and meeting facilities for workshops, seminars and more, increasing VIFF’s own educational program capabilities plus more access options for community partners and renters.
Imagine the difference you can make
As we embark on this ambitious fundraising effort, supporters of the project will inspire others and play a critical role in helping this re-imagined space become a reality.
This is how your support will impact the community:
- Provide reimagined spaces for an expanded variety of programming that will bring new audiences to VIFF and new stories to Vancouver audiences;
- Increase creation, collaboration and presentation opportunities and access to affordable space for more creators and community groups;
- Enhance the film-going experience for Vancouver film lovers with shared public spaces to gather and celebrate;
- Allow for an expanded array of educational and training opportunities for youth;
- Positively benefit the filmmaking community and allow the Vancouver International Film Centre to act as the heart of their professional community;
- Contribute to the long-term fiscal health of the organization with expanded ticket sale, concession and rental opportunities
We are fortunate to have an excellent team to lead us through this exciting expansion project.
The office of mcfarlane biggar architects + designers (omb) is an award-winning, full-service design firm based in Vancouver. They specialize in responsive design solutions, revealed in thoughtful, innovative built work, delivered through an inclusive, engaging approach in partnership with their clients. Their design process draws upon imagination, diligence, and technical rigor in a search for creative solutions that challenge preconceived ideas while embracing lessons of the past.
With an emphasis on informed, fresh thinking that upholds the importance of value throughout all aspects of the project delivery process, omb offers design expertise combined with local knowledge and proficiency necessary to deliver an exemplary, cost-effective project that is compelling, functional and well-managed. Committed to sustainable building practices, with an emphasis on innovation that creates value for both their clients and communities, they facilitate an open and communicative process that focuses on problem-solving, consensus building and responsive design solutions. They are committed to delivering exceptional services that respond to the needs of users foremost, while also carefully managing the team, budgets and schedules.
Turner Construction Company strives to enable clients to deliver their value to the world by providing expert construction services that result in successful projects. Ensuring they work in supportive and collaborative relationships, grounded by their values of teamwork, integrity, and commitment Turner looks forward to being part of the new VIFF venue. Some of Turners past projects included in their portfolio of arts & entertainment venues are the museum of Modern Art and, the Lincoln Centre in NY, the Shakespeare Center of Los Angeles, numerous libraries throughout North America, and some Hollywood studios, to name only a few.